Top 10 Investment Predictions for 2018
What investors should expect in the year ahead, from tax reform to global expansion
2017 was a good year for many investors, especially those who diversified into global stocks. Strong equity returns was the year’s biggest highlight, with some stocks offering double-digit gains. Just one example is the average balanced mutual fund, which returned more than 13 percent, marking the third-best return since 2009.
So what should investors expect in 2018? John Augustine, Huntington’s chief investment officer, shares the Private Bank’s top 10 list of predictions for the year.
- Global GDP soars
- Artificial intelligence grows as governments debate it
- Global markets are watching world events
- U.S. economy starts to get some ‘animal spirits’ back
- It’s the year of the actives
- Markets are a “first half, second half” story
- Which market will be right: bonds, stocks or commodities?
- Corporate and municipal bond supply shrink
- It’s the year of the Midwest economy
We examine each of these predictions in the following report.