6 Key Questions: Transferring your wealth
When you consider the legacy you will leave behind, you want the best possible outcome for the things you care about: your family, your loved ones, and your philanthropic causes. Without a well-designed formal plan, your best hopes may not come to pass. Consider the following questions and contact your Huntington Private Bank® advisor to begin the conversation.
- "Do I really need a formal plan?" The truth is, you already have a formal plan: the default plan. The state you reside in has this plan codified in law. If you want your specific wishes to be carried out, even after you’re gone, you will need your own plan and appropriate documents. Your plan should cover all of your goals, from philanthropic objectives to protecting assets from creditors and other priorities.
- "Does transferring my assets mean I will no longer control them?" Control doesn’t require ownership. Transferring ownership of family assets to certain types of trusts, family members, or other entities could help protect that property from “creditors and predators.”
- "For tax purposes, should I gift assets now or put it all in the estate?" Gifting now or later isn’t an either/or question, whether it’s to your heirs or a cherished charity. As laws and regulations have changed recently, a combination of current and future gifts may be most efficient and effective. Careful planning can help minimize taxes for you and your heirs†.
- "Do I need to put my assets in trusts?" The exact vehicles for your estate will depend on your goals. Trusts are a workhorse of legacy planning, helping with tax efficiency, asset protection, support and oversight of heirs, and many other priorities. One of the benefits of using trusts is that they can offer professional management.
- "Do I need a professional trustee?" A professional trustee can ease the burden on your loved ones after you’re gone. Having professional trustee oversight of a trust, either in conjunction with a family member or on its own, can help ensure that your plans are followed as you wished.
- "When should I begin planning?" It is never too late, or too soon, to begin planning. And there’s good reason to seek professional guidance as you identify goals, build an effective plan, and establish trusts and other plan structures. Good planning can be invaluable at any stage, and you’ll need to revisit and update your plan periodically.
DISCOVERY AWARENESS SOLUTIONS
Read more Private Bank Insights
Explore more trends and issues related to wealth management, investments, and more.
Protect Your Legacy from Creditors and Predators
If outsiders take aim at your wealth, these planning tools and strategies can help protect your family from financial and emotional harm.
† The information provided in this document is intended solely for general informational purposes and is provided with the understanding that neither Huntington, its affiliates nor any other party is engaging in rendering tax, financial, legal, technical or other professional advice or services, or endorsing any third-party product or service. Any use of this information should be done only in consultation with a qualified and licensed professional who can take into account all relevant factors and desired outcomes in the context of the facts surrounding your particular circumstances. The information in this document was developed with reasonable care and attention. However, it is possible that some of the information is incomplete, incorrect, or inapplicable to particular circumstances or conditions. NEITHER HUNTINGTON NOR ITS AFFILIATES SHALL HAVE LIABILITY FOR ANY DAMAGES, LOSSES, COSTS OR EXPENSES (DIRECT, CONSEQUENTIAL, SPECIAL, INDIRECT OR OTHERWISE) RESULTING FROM USING, RELYING ON OR ACTING UPON INFORMATION IN THIS DOCUMENT EVEN IF HUNTINGTON AND/OR ITS AFFILIATES HAVE BEEN ADVISED OF OR FORESEEN THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES, LOSSES, COSTS OR EXPENSES.
Huntington Private Bank® is a team of professionals dedicated to delivering a full range of wealth and financial services. The team is comprised of Private Bankers, who offer premium banking solutions, Wealth and Investment Management professionals, who provide, among other services, trust and estate administration and portfolio management from The Huntington National Bank, and licensed investment representatives of The Huntington Investment Company, who offers securities and investment advisory services. Huntington Private Bank® is a federally registered service mark of Huntington Bancshares Incorporated.
The Huntington Investment Company is a registered broker-dealer, member FINRA and SIPC, and registered investment advisor with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC). The Huntington Investment Company is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Huntington Bancshares Incorporated.
Certain insurance products are offered by Huntington Insurance, Inc., a wholly-owned subsidiary of Huntington Bancshares Incorporated, and underwritten by third-party insurance carriers not affiliated with Huntington Insurance, Inc.
Trust and certain investment management services are provided by The Huntington National Bank, a national bank with fiduciary powers. The Huntington National Bank is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Huntington Bancshares Incorporated.
Non-Deposit Trust, Investment and Insurance products are:
NOT A DEPOSIT • NOT FDIC INSURED • NOT GUARANTEED BY THE BANK • NOT INSURED BY ANY FEDERAL GOVERNMENT AGENCY • MAY LOSE VALUE
Third-party product, service and business names are trademarks/service marks of their respective owners.